- Published on Sunday, 09 March 2014 01:17
- Written by Administrator
I originally began an actual letter to the BOD about something that has me furious. After some thought, I sent the documentation for this piece to some of the BOD members but in my mind the only way to get action on this matter is to put it out publicly. I can't post the documents because I can't and won't post the names of the abused girls. I am leaving the perpetrator's name off until action is taken and then I will be sure to direct everyone to the appropriate place on the USAT website - the Suspension List. He is not there and that is the heart of my rant.
Open & Public Letter to the USAT Board of Directors:
I am writing today because you have some problems and as the former Chair of the USAT Board of Directors, I have dealt with these situations before and can offer advice. Whether you take it or not, I will know that I at least tried. One of the biggest hurdles in your job is that there is virtually no one with institutional knowledge and the history of who, what, when and why, nor anyone who still has the documentation, on the Board at least.
1. You have an alleged sexual predator who was reported to USAT in September of 2013. You have four athletes making the same accusations against the same coach. You have parents that this coach has confessed that he had sex with his female students, but it was legal because they were 16 and the age of consent in his state is 16. (This is documented.) He forgot that he took these girls to USAT events across the country and at least one girl to another country. (I have made sure this documentation is going to Federal authorities.) Three of the girls claim they were 15 when they were given alcohol by their coach and then had sex with him. He says they were 16. One of the four was 16. You have a police report, depositions from 4 girls, an ex-wife, and parents from his school. I have shared them with several board members.
2. To date, this coach who admits to providing alcohol to minors and having sex with them, is still coaching at USAT events where he is probably trolling for new victims, six months after the reports. Most recently, he coached the US Open where he was allowed access to the holding area, the same holding area where one of his victims was denied the presence of her mother,the same holding area where she could see her abuser. Let's do the math, complaint filed September of 2013, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb - 6 months and he is still coaching.
- Published on Friday, 07 March 2014 21:03
- Written by Administrator
In the minutes the names were redacted. I was shocked and surprised to see the names magically appear when I copy and pasted. Out of deference to the subject matter and the committee, I have redacted the names also. I just want to make the point the names are still there and still visible.
USA Taekwondo Nominating Committee
February 21, 2014 Minutes
Dean Ekeren, Chair
Devin Johnson, BoD
I. Lynda and John will continue trying to set an interview with ***** for Judicial Committee.
II. Dean and Lynda interviewed **** for Judicial/Ethics Committee. Dean and Lynda agreed that we would like to continue the search process prior to making any recommendations.
Devin suggested reaching out to the BoD and Malia at the USOC for candidates.
Devin suggested we look at the possibility of combining the Judicial and Ethics Committees. Dean will send a note to Don Reynolds asking this question.
III. Lynda reported that many AAC members are at the US Open in Las Vegas this week, however most are very busy. She will e-mail the group about appointing a rep for the Judicial Committee.
IV. The Nominating Committee will review applicants that were not selected for the BoD to see if any might be a good fit for the one remaining Nominating Committee position.
V. Devin will send an e-mail to *******, a BoD applicant that was not selected for the BoD, to see if he would be interested in serving as the Marketing Committee Chair.
The Nom Committee will continue to solicit interest in the Marketing and Membership Committees, however some guidance from the BoD and/or the Strategic Planning Committee will be sought prior to making any further recommendations for these committees.
Note to Committee - the reason the Judicial and Ethics Committee are not combined is the USOC Section 10 Hearing Panel objected to it. Devin was on that committee and there really should be no objection. Having personally dealt with the issues of populating those committees, I agree with combining, but that means nothing if the USOC said no.
Note to Committee - YOU HAVE AN AAC ALREADY - Her name is Markey Keelan. Unless she has resigne, she has another year on her term. December 3, 2012 Meeting Minutes of the USOC BOD - "In executive session, Markie Keelan was elected to the Judicial Committee pending successful vetting." She is an athlete in the 10 year eligibility. She is still on the committee unless relieved of duties which is required if she is being replaced.
- Published on Friday, 07 March 2014 20:46
- Written by Administrator
2/17/14 BOD Meeting minutes - pretty uninformative and definitely not transparent. One would think that the substance of the report would be included not just there was a report on a subject.
REGULAR BOARD MEETING MINUTES – 17 February 2014
Devin JOHNSON – Chair Ron SOUTHWICK
John HOLLOWAY Stephen LAMBDIN
Lynda LAURIN Shailesh BETTADAPUR
Russell AHN Don REYNOLDS
Seth WILSON John ENSMINGER
Luciano MEDINA Dean EKEREN
Ian HARDMAN Nia ABDALLAH
Terrence JENNINGS (Nia ABDALLAH was replacement)
1. Meeting was called to order at 4:40 pm Pacific Time.
2. CEO Harris called the roll. A quorum was established with thirteen (11) of the current fourteen (14) members present. One member was en route.
3. CEO Updates. CEO Harris made a brief report on the following topics:
a. 2014 U.S. Open
b. Youth Olympic Games Qualification Tournament/Junior World Championships
c. Cadet World Championships
d. Safe Sport
e. USA Taekwondo Motorcycle
f. Special UFC Match- Brazil v. USA
g. WTF Global Memberships System (GMS)
h. 2014 National Championships
4. D & O Insurance discussion. Mr. Reynolds moved to indemnify the BOD and USA Taekwondo Committees. Motion was approved unanimously.
5. Committee Updates
a. Audit Committee. Audit Committee Chair Bettadapur reported on the status of the Audit Committee meeting on February 13, 2014 with the CEO and CFO.
b. Strategic Plan Committee. Chair Hardman reported that his committee had met on February 12, and also on February 13-16th. They will continue with follow-up meetings and will keep the BOD informed.
c. Nominating Committee. Chair Ekeren discussed the remaining BOD position and presented Mr. Jeff Porter, and Olympic Track and Field athlete as a candidate for our remaining BOD position. The BOD voted unanimously to accept Mr. Porter on our Board of Directors.
d. Governance Committee. Chair Reynolds reported that there will be minor Bylaws revisions, with submissions due by February 28, 2014. Terms of the BOD members will be addressed, along with Governance Corporate Policies and BOD/Committee Evaluation Process.
e. Ethics Committee. Chair Hurley made a brief report.
6. Meeting adjourned into Executive Session at 5:30 pm Pacific Time to discuss the following items:
a. CEO Compensation
b. Outstanding Complaint Matter
Bruce C.K.W. Harris
- Published on Friday, 07 March 2014 20:41
- Written by Administrator
Ok - how is it that just a couple months ago the Cadets and Juniors were told they had to pay a portion of their trips and this one, last minute says:
USA Taekwondo will cover all related cost for airfare, hotel and food for the extent of the competition.
I notice that this does not cover entry fees and other than airfare, hotel and food for the extent of the competition (translation - come a day or two early to acclimate, you pay your own way) and I see nothing about coaches. They mention chaperones, not coaches.
Coaches are asking, where did the funding come from for this trip which is an Open, when WTF sanctioned WTF World were not fully funded?
I love the idea of travel teams to Opens, check the old minutes, the board approved setting up such a system where the athletes pay their own way, but go as a team. I just don't love the way things are not completely spelled out in these cases.
This piece should list what expenses the athlete must pay - or did they forget entry fees etc... Like the others, I am curious about the funding. Things need to be more transparent.